WhatsApp disappearing messages feature: Do you know how this feature works and how to use WhatsApp disappearing messages feature? If not, then this detailed guide will help you! As a WhatsApp user, we know that when we send a message to an individual chat or group chat, it remains in a chat forever. But what if the messages in a chat will be disappeared after some time? DO you think it is possible? The answer is Yes! WhatsApp disappearing messages feature allows you to enable or disable disappearing messages mode for chats.
About the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature
In November 2020, WhatsApp has rolled out disappearing messages feature for Android, iPhone, KaiOS, and WhatsApp web. This is not a new thing. Other messaging apps like telegram, wire, and signal already have this type of disappearing messages feature. In these apps, You can set up a time limit after how much amount of time the messages should be disappeared from the chat. But in WhatsApp, you don’t have control over the time limit. WhatsApp has set it to 7 days. This means that, if you enable the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature then the messages will disappear after 7 days from the chat to which you have enabled.
Before we go into detail, let me clarify some points with you regarding this WhatsApp disappearing messages feature. In an individual chat, you will have the option to enable or disable the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature but in the WhatsApp groups, if you are an admin of the group then you will have control over this feature. If you are not an admin then you will not have control to disable or enable this disappearing mode feature.
How to use WhatsApp disappearing messages feature
So, if you want to send messages to a chat or group chat that automatically disappear from the chat after 7 days then WhatsApp disappearing messages mode is waiting for you to use it. So now you have some clarification about the disappearing messages feature on WhatsApp and how can you use it.
In this article, you will find the complete guide on how to the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature, How to enable or disable disappearing messages in WhatsApp and how it works. This feature is available to Android, iPhone, KaiOS, and Web, and desktop users. So let’s get started!
How to enable WhatsApp disappearing messages feature on android, iPhone, and WhatsApp web
Find out the steps mentioned below to turn on or off disappearing messages mode. Once enabled, the messages will disappear from the chat automatically after seven days. You can disable it at any time.
- Open WhatsApp on your device.
- Click on the contact (Chat) for which you want to use this disappearing messages mode.
- After that, tap on the contact’s name at the top of the chat window.
- Click on the “Disappearing messages” option.
- After that, if prompted then click on the Continue button.
- Select ON.
Now you have the disappearing messages mode activated for that chat. You might have the question of how to enable disappearing messages in the WhatsApp group? See, there is no difference. If you are a group admin then simply follow the steps above to enable or disable this feature for WhatsApp groups. But, if you are not an admin of the group then you will not see the disappearing messages option in the group because WhatsApp has given the control to the group admins only, not group members.
How to disable the disappearing messages feature in WhatsApp
After activating this mode, if you want to disable the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature then the process is reversed. The way you have activated this mode, in the reverse way you can deactivate this mode. All you need to do is to follow the steps below.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap on the contact or group to which you have enabled this feature and want to turn off it.
- Click on the contact’s name (subject).
- Click on the “Disappearing messages” option.
- After that, click on the continue.
- Then select off.
If it’s already enabled then at the last step you will see the option to turn OFF instead of turn ON and vice versa.
This is how you can use the disappearing messages on WhatsApp. For android, iOS, KaiOS, and WhatsApp web, the process of enabling or disabling the WhatsApp disappearing messages feature are the same.
So, this is all about WhatsApp disappearing messages feature. But wait! Do you know what will happen if you enable this feature? What points you have to keep in your mind while using disappearing messages on WhatsApp for individual chat or group chat.
What will happen when you enable disappear message son WhatsApp?
Keep the following points in mind while using this mode.
- When you enable this feature, if the recipient doesn’t open WhatsApp in the seven days then the messages sent by you will be disappeared automatically. But as we know that when we receive a message on WhatsApp we get a notification or a preview of it in WhatsApp. So this preview will remain as it is.
- Another limitation is regarding the forwarded messages. Let’s take a case. You have sent a message to someone. After that, the receiver forward that message to the second chat, and if the second user has Disappearing messages turned off then this forwarded message will not be disappeared for the second chat.
- If you back up the messages before it disappears and when you restore that back up then the disappearing messages will be disappeared.
- Replying to a message by swiping right to quote may remain visible after seven days.
- If disappearing messages is ON then Photos and videos will be deleted from the app after seven days. But, if you have auto-download media enabled, the photos and video won’t be deleted from your phone. If it’s disabled, the media files would be deleted from your phone after seven days. Learn more about how to enable or disable auto-download media on WhatsApp here.
So these are some points you should know about. You can read more about why WhatsApp has rolled out this disappearing messages mode from here.
In this guide, I have shown you the complete detail about the WhatsApp disappearing feature and how to use disappearing messages on WhatsApp on Android, iPhone, KaiOS, and WhatsApp web. If you have any doubt then let me in the comment section below. I will be happy to answer you. You can find more WhatsApp guides on the infoinsides. So what are you waiting for? Explore it! Thank you.